“No ideas but in things.” – William Carlos Williams
US-based audio pioneer FRED GREENHALGH is best known for bringing location-recording techniques from his indie film background to the production of immersive audio movies.
His work on his original series, THE CLEANSED, let to him catching the attention of Audible, and ultimately the opportunity to team up with audio legend William Dufris (AudioComics/Pocket Universe) to develop LOCKE & KEY as a faithful 13.5 hour location recorded audio movie (feat. Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment, and Stephen King). This was followed by THE X-FILES: COLD CASES and STOLEN LIVES (feat. David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, and many of the original cast members), and EXPEDITIONARY FORCE: HOMEFRONT with Podium (feat. Zachary Quinto, Kate Mulgrew, and RC Bray, produced under newly formed Dagaz Media). His original work also includes THE DARK TOME and OF FAE AND FIENDS, released as Stitcher Premium exclusives.
Fred’s a also the founder and original host of RADIO DRAMA REVIVAL, which continues in its 13th year with host Elena Fernández Collins at the helm. A tireless advocate for advancing the audio medium, Fred has spoken at conferences around the world and been featured in many global media publications.
He and his family live in an off-grid home in rural Maine that he and his wife built. They have many goats.
- Getting Stephen King to drop the “F” bomb for a cameo appearance in LOCKE & KEY
- Jamming to David Duchovny’s original music while waiting for lunch post-recording for X-FILES: COLD CASES
- Getting someone at Audible to drop their appetizer plate in astonishment when Fred appeared in a tux (he is more readily recognized barefoot)
The long version:
The child of back-to-the-landers, Fred Greenhalgh has been writing stories since his childhood in rural Maine. His determination to leave his home town got him as far as the University of Southern Maine, and two years later he took a university-sponsored exchange to the University of New Orleans.
As he studied film in New Orleans he became entranced with the vibrant, melancholy, and exuberant local culture. Living in the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood, he completed an independent project on the street culture of New Orleans.
After Hurricane Katrina, Fred returned to Maine feeling like he still had a lot to say about his adopted and beloved city. These ideas coalesced into his first radio drama (and senior thesis), Day of the Dead. Day of the Dead was released in May 2006, the same month Fred graduated USM with a BA in Media Studies with University Honors.
Having found his calling in audio drama, Fred has spent the last 15+ years innovating the American scene as a tireless producer and promoter of the medium. He founded and hosted the audio drama anthology show Radio Drama Revival for 7 years and has accumulated credits working on Locke & Key, The X-Files Audio Movies, Expeditionary Force: Homefront, as well as developing his own original series, The Cleansed, The Dark Tome, and Of Fae & Fiends (which also exists as a novelization).
Fred co-founded production company Dagaz Media with audio legend and close collaborator and dear friend William Dufris, who passed in March 2020 after a battle with cancer. In the post-COVID-19 world, Fred decided to start a free online audio drama training course, “So You Wanna Make Audio Drama?” which proved highly popular, with over 50 students enrolling in less than 48 hours. Fred is honored to count teaching now as an adjacent passion to his production work, and continues to teach while developing his own original and commissioned work.
Fred and his family live on an off-grid homestead in rural Maine with 11 goats and 30’ish chickens.
- 2020 – Writer/Director/Producer – The Dark Tome: Season 3 (In Development)
Writer/Director/Producer – Of Fae & Fiends
Producer/Sound Director – Expeditionary Force: Homefront
Producer/Creator – The Mayan Crystal
Writer/Producer – The Dark Tome: Season 2
Assistant Producer – X-Files: Cold Cases and X-Files: Stolen Lives
Writer/Producer – The Dark Tome: Season 1
Writer/Director/Producer – The Cleansed: Season 3
Guest / Writer – Red Flannel Radio “The Curiosities” with Tim Sample
“The Totals” and “The Crevasse” for The Drabblecast
Director/Producer – A Journey With Strange Bedfellows (Commission by Forest Rose Productions)
Field Sound/Producer – Locke and Key with Audible and AudioComics
Writer/Director/Producer – The Cleansed: Season 2
Writer/Director/Producer – The Cleansed: Season 1
Location Recording – Intensive Care
Writer/Director/Producer – The Cleansed: Pilot, The Troll of Stony Brook, Joe Gunther Audio Pilot
Director – Live Radio Drama and Bean Supper, USM Theater Dept. Radio Drama Collaboration
Sound Designer – Severed Threads for BBC Radio 4
Writer/Director/Producer – Begathon Shorts
Director/Producer – Mad Horse OTR Project, Live Halloween Radio Show
Writer/Director/Producer – Waiting for a Window
Writer/Director/Producer – Fall of the Hero, Begathon Special
Director/Producer – Tales from Williamsville
Writer/Director/Producer – Day of the Dead, The Blind Man’s Confession
Awards and Honors
- 2016 – “Locke and Key” shortlisted for 4 Audie Awards
- 2014 – Finalist in Radio Romania’s “Grand Prix Nova” international radio drama contest
- 2012 – Maine Arts Commission “Good Idea Grant” Recipient
- 2011 – RØDE Microphones signs on as in-kind sponsor
- 2011 – Gold Ogle for Best Horror Audio Drama – Intensive Care
- 2010 – Coffee by Design “Rebel Blend” Arts Grant Recipient
- 2010 – Silver Mark Time for Best Sci-Fi Audio Drama – The Cleansed, Prologue
- 2010 – Golden Mini Disc Award – Best Writing – The War on Poverty
- 2008 – Gold Ogle Award for Best Fantasy Audio Drama – Waiting for a Window
- May 8, 2016 – “Tom Lopez and ZBS,” Jon Kalich for NPR (Greenhalgh appears at 18:14), view online
- March 27, 2015 – “The resurgence of audio drama,” Financial Times, view online
- February 15, 2010 – “Return With Us to the Thrilling Days Of Yesteryear – Via the Internet.” – A4, Wall Street Journal – View online or Download Article PDF)
- April 24, 2007 – “The podcast’s the thing to revive radio drama,” The Guardian, – View online, or Download Article (PDF)
- October 21, 2011 – “Maine-based Director Resurrects Audio Drama on New Stage: The Internet” – MPBN – Audio story, listen online
- October 17, 2011 – “Spooky sounds: North Dam is site of Halloween radio drama recording” – Journal Tribune
- October 19, 2010 – “WKIT to premier Mainer’s horror radio play” – Bangor Daily News – View online, or Download Article (PDF)
- May 7, 2010 – “Alfred man at leading edge of radio drama’s online revival” – Bangor Daily News – View online, or Download Article (PDF)
- March 17, 2010 – “Solar Powered Mind Movies” – Machias Valley Observer – Download Article (PDF)
- March 10, 2010 – “Making radio waves: Alfred man gets exposure for his audio dramas” – Current Publishing – View online, or Portland Press Herald – Download Article (PDF)
- October 29, 2015 – “Creating Scary, Spooky Sounds” guest on MPBN’s Maine Calling with Bill Dufris, View Online
- October 18, 2015 – “Unlocking the LOCKE & KEY Audiobook,” Newsarama, View Online
- July 3, 2014 – “Maine Calling” features radio drama revival with Fred Greenhalgh, Tim Sample, Michele Cobb
- October 27, 2010 – “Severed Threads: From Downtown Manhattan to Suburban Minneapolis” – BBC Radio 4 Blog
- July 1, 2010 – Upstage, CKUT in Montreal, guest and debut of Troll of Stony Brook
- March 25, 2010 – MyTechnologyLawyer Radio Show; Scott interviews Radio Drama producer Fred Greenhalgh – Archive Link or MP3 Download
- October 12, 2009 – Guest on The SFFaudio Podcast #039 – http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=12027
- September 27, 2008 – “Low Budget Podcast Production,” Guest on Small Business Website Mailbag – http://www.jimdegerstrom.com/podcast/2008/09/low-budget-podcast-production.html
- October 31, 2007 – “Halloween Special,” Guest on Portland Press Herald’s NXT Generation Podcast – http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/blog/blogs/nxt-next-generation/the-nxt-halloween-special