“No ideas but in things.” – William Carlos Williams
US-based audio pioneer FRED GREENHALGH is best known for bringing location-recording techniques from his indie film background to the production of immersive audio movies. He’s Head of Audio Production at Realm, overseeing their original scripted fiction programming (20+ shows a year).
Fred’s career started with his original series, THE CLEANSED, which led to him catching the attention of Audible, and ultimately the opportunity to team up with audio legend William Dufris to develop LOCKE & KEY as a faithful 13.5 hour location recorded audio movie (feat. Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment, and Stephen King).
This was followed by THE X-FILES: COLD CASES and STOLEN LIVES (feat. David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, and many of the original cast members), THE MAYAN CRYSTAL (with Gen-Z Media), and EXPEDITIONARY FORCE: HOMEFRONT with Podium (feat. Zachary Quinto, Kate Mulgrew, and RC Bray). His original work includes critically-acclaimed THE DARK TOME and OF FAE AND FIENDS, released as Stitcher Premium exclusives.
Fred’s also the founder and original host of RADIO DRAMA REVIVAL, which continues in its 15th year with host Elena Fernández Collins at the helm. A tireless advocate for audio fiction, Fred’s efforts to promote the medium include offering a free online course teaching audio fiction, speaking at conferences around the world, and features in many of the world’s most influential media publications.
He and his family live in an off-grid home in rural Maine that he and his wife built. They have many goats.
- Getting Stephen King to drop the “F” bomb for a cameo appearance in LOCKE & KEY.
- Jamming to David Duchovny’s original music while waiting for lunch post-recording for X-FILES: COLD CASES.
- Getting someone at Audible to drop their appetizer plate in astonishment when Fred appeared in a tux (he is more readily recognized barefoot).
- Lunch at City Diner with Kate Mulgrew.
The Guardian, The New York Times, BBC Radio 4, MTV, NPR, Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Oprah Magazine Top 14 Fiction Podcasts (2 selections), News Center Maine, Newsarama, Gizmodo, Nerdist, SyFy, Bleeding Cool, Vanity Fair
Audible, Pinna, Podium Publishing, Dell/EMC, Spotify/Gimlet, BBC Radio 4, Wondery, Stitcher /XMSirius.
Select Talent Worked With:
Joe Hill, Stephen King, Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment, David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Zachary Quinto, Kate Mulgrew, Robert Picardo, RC Bary, William B. Davis, Mitch Pileggi, Dean Haglund, Tom Braidwood, Bruce Harwood, Ray Porter.
SXSW (2015), Association of Writers/Writers Programs, Podcast Movement, Podfest, Podtales, PortCon Maine, Bangor Comicon, CONvergence.
Awards and Accolades
- Hit the NYT Bestselling Audiobooks list 4 times (Expeditionary Force: Homefront, The X-Files: Cold Cases and The X-Files: Stolen Lives, and Locke and Key)
- The Dark Tome – Winner, Ogle Award for Best Horror Audio Drama. Top 25 in iTunes overall (Fall 2016). Homepage featured show on iTunes (Fall 2016). Over 8MM downloads to date.
- X-Files Audio Movies – Audie Award Nominee, Excellence in Production, Best Science Fiction Audiobook, Best Multi-Voiced Recording.
- Locke and Key – Audie Award winner, Excellence in Marketing, Audie Award Nominee for Excellence in Production, Excellence in Design, and Best Original Work.
- The Cleansed – Finalist in Radio Romania’s Grand Prix Nova, Winner, Silver Mark Time Award for Best Sci-Fi Audio Drama. Recipient of Maine Arts Commission “Good Idea Grant” and Individual Artist Project Award. Recipient of Coffee by Design “Rebel Blend” Arts Grant Recipient. Recognized by RØDE Microphones as an influencer and offered in-kind sponsorship. Homepage featured show on iTunes twice (2015). Top 25 in iTunes Overall (Fall 2015). Over 6MM downloads to date.
- Intensive Care – Winner, Gold Ogle for Best Horror Audio Drama.
- Waiting for a Window – Winner, Gold Ogle Award for Best Fantasy Audio Drama.
- 2022 – Director/Producer – Marigold Breach (starring Manny Jacinto and Jameela Jamil), Overleaper (starring Thora Birch)
- 2021 – Director/Producer – ElfQuest: The Audio Movie, Director/Producer – The Collective, Director/Producer (for Realm) – Black Friday, Sound Designer (for Realm) If I Go Missing the Witches Did It, Roanoke Falls
- 2020 – Writer/Director/Producer – The Dark Tome: Undertow
Director/Producer – Dream Breachers (for Pinna)
Writer/Director/Producer – Of Fae & Fiends
Producer/Director – Expeditionary Force: Homefront
Sound engineer – PANDEMIC (for Science Vs/Gimlet)
Producer/Creator – The Mayan Crystal
Writer/Producer – The Dark Tome Seasons 1 and 2
Writer/Director/Producer – The Cleansed: Season 3
Assistant Producer – X-Files: Cold Cases and X-Files: Stolen Lives
Guest / Writer – Red Flannel Radio “The Curiosities” with Tim Sample – pilot live radio/theater experience
Writer/Director/Producer – The Cleansed Seasons 1 and 2
Field Sound/Producer – Locke and Key with Audible and AudioComics
Sound Designer – Severed Threads for BBC Radio 4
Various volunteer/community engagements including partnership with USM Theatre / sound design class
- 2006 – 2009
Writer/Director/Producer on over 9 original short works
Produced 2-hour live Halloween show feat. foley effects, live music, live audience, and simulcast FM radio / webstream